Student Visa Health Requirements

Study in New Zealand / Student Visa / Health Requirements

Health requirements

When you apply for your visa or permit we need to be assured that you and any family members with you are healthy.  We make this requirement to safeguard the well being of New Zealanders and to avoid placing a burden on the country’s health and social services.  We also want to ensure that people entering New Zealand are fit for the purpose they have come here for. 
Generally, the New Zealand Immigration Service will decline your application for a visa or permit if: 

  • there is any likelihood you’ll need dialysis treatment
  • you have active tuberculosis (TB) – if you are on anti-TB
  • treatment we’ll delay making a decision about your visa or
  • permit until you’ve had six months of treatment 
  • you have required either hospital or residential care for a mental disorder or intellectual disability for more than 90 days in the last two years
  • you have a physical incapacity that requires full time care.

The New Zealand Immigration Service may also decline your application if you:

  • have some other infectious or communicable disease or
  • you need surgery that may add to the burden of the New Zealand health system.

If you’re coming to New Zealand to study for more than six months or intend to stay in New Zealand for more than six months you must provide a completed Temporary X-ray Certificate form (NZIS 1096) if:

  • you’re NOT from a low TB risk country
  • you’ve spent (lived and/or visited) a combined total of three months or more in a country or countries not identified as a low TB risk country in the past five years before you apply. 

If you are coming to New Zealand to study for more than two years, you and any family members coming with you need to complete a Medical and X-ray Certificate (NZIS 1007). Want to know how you get a Medical and X-ray Certificate? 

Pregnant women and children under the age of 11 years are not required to submit x-ray certificates unless a special report is required.

For full details on health requirements, see the New Zealand Immigration Service Health Requirements Leaflet (NZIS 1121).

Please wait...
Send a message

Our registered education agents help you for free to find a course and enrol at the education provider of your choice. Send us your questions.

* Name
* Email
* Nationality
* Message
Contact us now

Need more help? Save time by starting your support request online.

* Name
* Email
* Nationality
* Message
We' offer you free services!

Help us help you better! Feel free to leave us any additional feedback.

How do you rate our support?
Translate »