Entry and language requirements
Tertiary entry requirements
The criteria may vary in relation to entry to tertiary study, this depends on the institution that has been chosen by the student. In most respects or cases where students are under the age of 21 sufficient evidence will need to be proved that the student is reasonably proficient at English or evidence of your English test score.
Sufficient evidence of qualifications will need to be provided in relations to certain level of study, such as:
- A New Zealand ‘B’ Bursary or better, or NCEA Level 3
- GCSE ‘A’ Levels
- STPM (Malaysia)
- Hong Kong ‘A’ Levels
- Australian Matriculation Year 12 Certificate
- Canadian Pre – University Programme
- Latin American students entry is determined by the institution.
In relation to your qualification assessment you will be advised by your institution, if you require your qualifications to be asses by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority. The assessment costs of NZ$450. You may download the form from the NZQA website. The standard assessment process will take up to 8 weeks, these timelines are subject to a number of provisions and you should view full details of assessment timeline before you decide to proceed.
It is your responsibility to provide original documents or certified photocopies of 1 of the following information;
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) band score of 6 with no band less than 5.5. The IELTS is used in various tertiary institutions in United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand and North America. This assesses your ability to speak, listen, read and write in relation to the academic or general training context. This was developed and managed by the University of Cambridge, the British Council and IDP Education Australia.
- A Pass in English in the New Zealand Bursary examination or NCEA Level 3
- A Pass in English in the General Certificate of Education (GCE) ‘O’ level examination
- A TOEFL ( Princeton Test of English as a Foreign Language) paper test (not the computer test) score of 550 and a TWE (Test of Written English) score of 4 (paper – based test) or 213, Essay rating 4.0 (Computer – based test)
- Grade C3 or above in Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) English 322
- Other recognised English proficiency test, copies of either your public examination certificates or your latest school, university or college transcripts.
If you require any further help please talk to us about exact requirements.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Please contact us about cross credits and exemptions.
- For secondary schools, the admission criteria normally includes English language proficiency and academic background plus any extra-curricular pursuits.
- For tertiary institutions, the entry criteria normally includes English language proficiency and academic qualifications and background that determine your suitability for your preferred course. Your qualifications may need to be assessed by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority.
Besides your academic qualifications, your work experience and life experience may also be taken into consideration. This is called RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning).
For more information, please contact us!